Tag Archives: Philadelphia

Vermifuge

The glass bottle above, although difficult to read in the photo, is stamped “Dr. D. Jayne’s Tonic Vermifuge 242 Chest. St. Phila”.  Vermifuge, a tonic for “worms, dyspepsia, piles and general debility” was a popular remedy of the very successful … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Cypress Street

From excavations at 310 Cypress Street.

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Mulberry ware

The dinner plate above was made by J. Clementson in its “Corea” (or Korea) transfer printed pattern, likely around 1845.  It was made for export in the Staffordshire complex in England, called mulberry ware because of its purple hue. This … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Looking back…

Dr. Jacob Gruber and Temple students working at 315 Walnut Street for the National Park Service in 1962.  Dr. Gruber and his students excavated a cylindrical brick-lined privy more than 14 feet in depth.  A wealth of material was recovered.  … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment