The glass bottle above, although difficult to read in the photo, is stamped “Dr. D. Jayne’s Tonic Vermifuge 242 Chest. St. Phila”. Vermifuge, a tonic for “worms, dyspepsia, piles and general debility” was a popular remedy of the very successful Philadelphia company, Dr. Jayne and Son.
The Jayne Building, formerly located at 242-244 Chestnut Street, was built in 1850 and demolished, despite efforts to save it, in 1958.
Here are two images of the Jayne Building, once considered a prominent Philadelphia landmark.
(Credit: Hagley Museum and Library)
(Credit: New York Public Library)